Hello Friends,
What is the number one ingredient lacking in your child’s diet? Vegetables!
It’s not because you don’t try, it’s because the kids hate them. And…
let’s all admit, sometimes it’s just easier to give them what they want,
instead of listening to the whining.
Let me assure you,
there is hope. I have compiled 5 food items that sneak in those dreaded
veggies. Make these recipes at least 3 or more times and your
children’s taste buds will start to change. Before you know it, you’ll
be able to sneak even more in
5 Foods Your Kids Will Beg For (Shhhh!!! Don’t mention the veggies)
1. Mashed Potatoes (aka Cauliflower):
Cauliflower
is a magic vegetable. I have used it to make tater tots, pizza crust,
and mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are the easiest.
Ingredients:
- One large head of cauliflower
- Butter (I love Earth Balance Spread)
- Garlic to taste
- Salt to taste
Method:
Cut the cauliflower
into flowerettes. Steam the cauliflower. Place in a food process with
the remainder of the ingredients and make smooth.
2. Shrek Shake (aka Green Smoothie):
Green
smoothies have the bad reputation of tasting a little green! It
doesn’t have to. If you use the right greens, it will have no added
taste. Start with one leaf and gradually increase as they get used to
it. The greens I would recommend are: spinach, romaine lettuce, or
watercress. The reason I call it a Shrek Shake is because obviously
because of the green color and you gotta give it a cool name for the
kiddos. Here’s a great beginner recipe.
Ingredients:
- 1 c. romaine lettuce
- 2 Tbsp. carob powder
- 3 bananas, peeled
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. vanilla kefir
- 1 c. ice
Method:
Place romaine, carob
powder, bananas, vanilla, and kefir in a blender and blend until
thoroughly combined. Add ice as needed while blending until desire
consistency is achieved. Serve.
3. Chocolate Pudding (with Avocados):
Yes,
when I first heard avocadoes, it made me nervous. Not to worry. The
avocado is more for the texture (and nutrients). The ingredients you
add to it make it taste great.
Ingredients:
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ c. cocoa powder
- ¼ c. agave nectar or honey
- ¼ c. almond milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Method:
Peel and quarter the avocado. Put all ingredients in a blender, until smooth.
4. Spaghetti sauce (with blended veggies):
When
I was growing up, I was very picky. If I so much as felt a mushroom, I
would give up. If it’s a texture issue, why not blend some veggies
into your spaghetti sauce?
Ingredients:
- 4 carrots, chopped
- Stems of 2 broccoli crowns
- Preferred spaghetti sauce
Method:
Add everything together and cook until veggies are tender. Blend together with a hand mixer. Serve over spaghetti.
*Bonus: If you have leftover sauce, use it as pizza sauce!
5. Chocolate Shake (aka Shakeology):
I
wanted to save the best for last! This is my go to drink. It has a
day’s worth of fruits and veggies in one glass. And it tastes sinfully
good. I make it really thick to make it resemble a frosty. Add 12 oz.
of water with a scoop of the powder and voila. For a more “frosty” like
texture add ice. You can add extra goodies to your kids liking. In
fact, I bet they’d have fun choosing what goes in.
I’d Like to Know…
What are some recipes that you’ve sneaked veggies in? Share in the comments below.
Today’s Tweetable: Make these recipes at least 3 or more times and your children’s taste buds will start to change.
Happy Eating,

No comments:
Post a Comment