Tuesday, 12 July 2016

Basic Green Smoothie Recipe

Hello Friends,
As you know, I’m a huge fan of getting in all those nutrient-filled veggies.  There’s one problem, it doesn’t exactly taste like a dessert. Often times you know what’s good for you and have the best intentions, but when it truly comes down to it, if you don’t like it, you won’t eat it.  Believe me, I get it.  Even as a health coach, I struggle everyday with getting them in. 
Fortunately, there’s a solution.  I’m much like a child in this regard, but I say disguise it.  Smoothies are one of my favorite things to do and it makes me feel like I’m drinking a shake.  If you’re looking to add it more fruits and veggies, this is the perfect way to do it.
The most fun of all is experimenting on my own.  I’ve come to find the best formula for smoothies that let’s me vary as much as I want.  

Basic Green Smoothie Recipe

Ingredients:

Liquid (1/2 – 1 cup): Use purified water, unsweetened nut milk, or coconut water.  You can always add more as need to blend to your desired texture.
+
The Greens (2-3 large handfuls): Newbies should start with something mild like spinach. Other greens are kale, collards, romaine, chard.  You can even add leafy herbs like cilantro, parsley, or mint
+
The Fruit (about a cup): Berries are great antioxidants (anti-ager!). I really love the creamy texture of a smoothie so I add a 1/2 banana or 1/4 avocado. 
+
Nuts or seeds (1 – 2 Tablespoons): Adding in flax seeds, flax oil, chia seeds, hemp seeds, raw almonds, or raw walnuts are full of good omega-3 fats, protein, and tons of other nutrients as well.
+
Optional Add-Ins: For a little more sweetness, add a 1 Tbsp. honey, or a few dates.  Liquid stevia is great too if you’re trying to watch the extra sugar, just add 6-8 drops

Method:
Add ingredients to a blender and blend until your desire consistency. 
 
Why Smoothies?
  • Supports digestive health: Sweeps toxins through digestive tract and aids regular elimination.
  • Satisfies hunger and sustains energy over time.
  • Balances blood sugar.
Happy Slurping,

No comments:

Post a Comment